Saturday, April 21, 2007

Penny-Wise Challenge

This year, I've really become interested in local eating and in the 100-mile diet in particular. Most of our food travels 1,500 miles before it reaches our plates. Eating more locally can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transporting that food, it helps support local farmers, and promote seasonal eating.

To get a better idea of whether local eating is more expensive, less expensive, or just about the same (financially, of course) as eating commercially produced food, the Eat Local Challenge is organizing the Penny-Wise Eat Local Challenge. People participating in this particular challenge will try to stay within budget goals from this Monday, April 23rd through Sunday, April 29th.

Personally, I'll be trying to stay with in the two person, two wage earners budget of $144 a week. If I wasn't living with someone, my goal would be a mere $68 for the week. My definition of local is 100-mile radius of my home. Since salt, coffee, and tea aren't produced locally, I'll make exemptions for those things. Stay tuned to see how it goes!

No comments: